www.flickr.com

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Almost a year.

I should be in bed right now. Instead I find myself watching this. It's so hard to think a year has passed since my younger sister was taken by cancer. This song was all over the radio when Lynda was sick. I really hope there's more than just "dark", but sometimes I wonder.

"I Will Follow You Into The Dark"


In addition to the direct connection to Lynda, the scenes with the old man and little boy remind me of my dad and my sons. But the song is so sweet, and the video so beautifully done, I can't put either away forever.

I don't dwell on the people who have passed, and tomorrow when I wake up I'll be fine. But at times, yes, I revisit them, and sometimes it hurts almost as bad as when they first left.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aviatrixt said...

Great dreary lovely song.

Eric, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your sister...I honestly had no idea. I remember you donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society the first year I raised funds for them. I was so blown away by the generosity of a 'stranger...' That left an indelible impression on me. I have a sneaking suspicion your sister was very much the same way.

After three years of fundraising, I've been asked (just this past week) to be on the Planning Committee for the local LLS Light the Night Walks (there will be either three or four in the greater Orlando metropolitan area this year). I'm stunned and flattered to be asked. And of course, completely overwhelmed. On the upside, I don't have to ask people for money this year. On the downside, I have to ask people for their TIME. So much harder. But I get to be a part of something bigger, and get to cheer people on to help them meet and beat their goals. Next year will be the 25th anniversary of my dad's passing. I figure I'll give everyone I know a year off to "save up" to send me to a major marathon in Hawaii or something. :)

I'm almost as far removed from the immediacy of my Dad's death as one can be...but I know I'm not alone in finding respite in the knowledge that I can do something...even still...in his absence.

Anyway, I'm blabbering on. I just wanted to let you know that I've never forgotten your generosity that first year. Perhaps someday I can return the favor.

27 March, 2009 19:40  
Anonymous one_big_pain said...

A beautiful video - I'd not heard that song before.

Yes, it hurts to remember those who are gone. But at the same time I think it's a fitting tribute to them that they are remembered, and that their loss does leave an unfillable void in the lives of those who loved them.

-cindy

31 March, 2009 07:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home