www.flickr.com

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Potty Power Trip

The Premise
There are some things that we think we are the only ones to experience, only to find out that everyone experiences them. There are others that we dare not mention, but would like to believe everyone experiences, when actually they don't. I don't know which category this one falls into.

The Preface
In our school, the men's room is equipped with, from right to left, a sink, a divider, a urinal, and a full stall (walls, locking door, fixture). The main door has a traditional bathroom lock. However, given the setup inside, I didn't lock the outer door during my first visit. It wasn't going to be a sit down job, anyway. Someone walked in, reacted with total shock at the presence of another person, and made a hasty, humbled exit. I didn't get it. This setup screamed "public toilet." However, even if I'm just washing my hands, I have learned to lock the outer door. For the benefit of the women reading this, you need to know this: It is very important, once the men's room etiquette has been established, never to mess with it. The men's room is a far, far cry from the social environment we men believe the ladies' room to be (do they really serve hors d'oeuvres in there???). Oh, and stop cringing at the topic, you'll get wrinkle lines in your forehead!

The Power Trip
OK, so here's the thing. It's very common, given breaks schedules and such, that someone tries the handle while I'm in there, regardless of the duration of the visit. My initial reaction to the door handle is momentary panic and the thought, "AACK! Did I really remember to lock it?" The failure of the knob to turn changes that reaction to, "Aha!! I have control of this facility. And you, poor soul, are forced to wait until I feel good and ready to release that control! And that will not happen until my hands are thoroughly sanitized, rinsed, and dried! MUAHAHAHA!!"

So, is everyone out there laughing in sympathy or secretly removing me from their RSS feeds?

Oh, and when I'm in there for an "extended stay" (aka - Starbuck's moment), I have that outer door locked and the stall door closed and locked. I've thought about how silly this is, but I feel compelled in a public restroom to lock the stall door. How would you treat the inner stall door knowing the outer one is locked?

2 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

I always lock the stall door, but then I tend to frequent the ladies room.

I think you need let Bill know of your potty story. If you are not familiar, he hands out 'Golden Toilet Award' when the potty story is warranted. Quite prestigious. http://televisionandstuff.blogspot.com He is a fellow MSNer who is making the move. But then you probably already know him. Hilarious dude.

26 September, 2006 20:55  
Blogger MamaChristy said...

I can TOTALLY relate. Sorry for the late comment but this is the funniest thing I've read in a long long long time. Thanks!

11 October, 2006 08:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home