www.flickr.com

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A Bump In The Road

This was supposed to be a post with a bunch of pictures of our new house, but Flickr seems reluctant to let me upload at this point (the forums indicate this is a database issue at Flickr, so as soon as I can post pics, I will).

So, instead, I chose this moment to share some disappointing news. My contract came to an end, and I am currently without work. My final day was Friday. I should state that this happened with no negative feelings, and I still hope to maintain a great working relationship with the company in future contracts should the opportunity present itself.

However, on the positive side, I am in communication with three other effects houses, and two of them seem quite interested. One important thing to know is that job-hopping is very common in this industry. And the more companies for which I establish a reputation, the more likely I am to hop uninterrupted. In the meantime, we have funds set aside for just such an event, but were hoping not to use them so early in the game.

I haven't shared this until now because right up until Friday, I was hoping to have something lined up immediately. I figured I might not need to share any negative news, but as it's actually happened, I feel compelled. So many of you have been with me through this ride, I can't leave parts out.

Now comes the other bit. Next week, an event called "Second Life Community Convention" happens in Chicago. I am currently enrolled and have plane tickets (non-refundable, mind you). The one job for which I've already interviewed is on a very tight schedule. If I get that offer, I will not be able to go to this convention and meet some very good friends I've known online now for about a year. So... if you're thinking positive thoughts for me, please have them inlcude a start date of August 27th! That would leave me at home with the boys until school starts (which would really complicate the work schedule for Michelle and I) and allow me to keep my travel plans!

Still... work is work, and I'll take it regardless of its impact on my social plans. Either way, I'll be sharing.

5 Comments:

Blogger deannie said...

Aww! I hate this for you but am so glad you were prepared for this - the mental ride sometimes is harder than the financial one.

Hugs & prayers for you!

14 August, 2007 16:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to Deannie's comment! Dont worry, you'll be happily job hoppin' in no time. Keep up the good spirits.

All the best to you and your family!

15 August, 2007 11:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A SL convention???? You're dangerously close to crossing into loser geekdom. In fact, you may already be there. That's about a 1/2 notch up from dessing like a klingon and attending a star trek convention. Since you've also been photographed hugging Sulu, I think all hope might be lost..... I'll just pretend I did not see your post today.

-Michael

15 August, 2007 14:44  
Blogger Eric said...

Deannie and Brenda... Thanks so much for your supportive comments. I'm not ready to give up yet. :D

Michael... I guess I shouldn't tell you about my second life costume then, huh? (totally kidding!)

(for those who don't know ... Michael was the Best Man in my wedding. We go back a long way offline, so he can get away with comments like that without offending. :) )

15 August, 2007 18:18  
Blogger Aynde said...

I can't begin to tell you how bummed I am at hearing out the lay-off. Hang in there. BTW I was watching the Sci-Fi channel the other day (surprise) and I saw your project!! YAY!!! I was filled with pride at seeing your name in the credits. I was saying excitedly " I know that guy!!!" *laughs*

I'll keep my fingers crossed about the job and hope the timing works out so that all your plans come together.

15 August, 2007 19:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home