www.flickr.com

Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Punk Rock

Punk Rock

My friend Jaycatt posted an entry about his tendency to collect things based on their emotional value more than their financial value. I replied about this little guy.

In the year between college and moving to Florida, my friends Jimmy, Michael, and I hung out at a punk/alternative club called Paris/NY. There was a large group of regulars there, and you could go anytime and know there was someone to hang out with. Eventually, we made several other friends with whom we hung out with in general. Not just a "nightclub crowd".

One night, Michael and I were hanging out in the patio area, and he picked up a rock from this small rock-garden. He pitched it against the back of the garden, which was railroad ties. I joined in. After about four rocks apiece, a man we'd never seen before popped out of a door we'd never seen open. Angrily, and with an accent I can only describe as "B-movie Russian", he yelled, "What are you doooing?!?" We apologized, and he popped back in. We burst out laughing. It was like he was waiting there for MONTHS just for this moment. From then on, we'd relay that angry quote, and it spread within our crowd.

Eventually I moved to Florida with my job.

After a while, however, I came back to visit, only to find out Paris/NY was closing. It was different. Much less populated. I could see why it wasn't going to last. Out on the patio, I spotted the little rock garden and said, "What are you doooing!?!" My friends and I each grabbed a rock to keep as a souvenir. It wasn't long before I realized mine had an angry face, and I nicknamed it "Punk Rock". Everyone rolled their eyes. But then, that's the sign of a successful "Eric-like" joke, isn't it?

To this day, I can't see the rock without laughing. And remembering the old crowd. Sometimes, something of no financial value at all does carry great emotional value.

5 Comments:

Blogger MJD said...

I completely forgot about this. Thanks for starting my Monday with a smile.

24 September, 2007 06:49  
Blogger Aynde said...

I do that too. Interestingly enough I do it more with music. There are some songs that I have a very strong emotional connection to. Likely it will trigger a childhood memory that will make me smile.
I will give you an example - BAck in the day my cousin would to to the radio station and they'd have a record of the top 40 songs for the week. Remember Casey Kasem?? So she'd bring them home and we'd each pick a song and do a lip sync show. My cousin Toni was almost always Madonna. I however was relegated to lip syncing "saving all my love for you". Yep. Whitney Houston. Now I will let you in on a little secret - I was a kikass whitney houston. I had the clothes and the mannerisms. I even did the head wrap thing from the video. Shhhh....don't tell. *laughs*

To this day I can not hear that song without thinking of me and my cousins in the basement of my cousin Toni's house lip syncing our little hearts out. It cracks me up.

25 September, 2007 07:18  
Blogger Eric said...

MJD... Glad I could bring back a memory for you!

Aynde... The funny thing about your comment was that this post led me to want to post about songs like that -- the ones that "define me". :) "Savin' all my love" will forever remind me of you now! haha!

25 September, 2007 12:34  
Blogger SomedayQuilter said...

Eric, great stories (I use the plural because I went back and read some of what I've missed the past few months). I also have items that I have kept because of emotional attachment (and people wonder why on earth I'm keeping THAT).
Thanks for the comment you left on my Being There For A Friend post. I agree that a Celebration of Life when a person leaves this world is preferable to what we think of as a funeral. I'm still going to cry because I'm an emtional person and I respond to emotion with tears, but I'm going to leave the service thinking about the person's LIFE and the effect they had on the lives they touched. You wrote a terrific tribute to your uncle and how he touched your life.

26 September, 2007 09:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i am here!!

Sorry been loads going on it's been crazy... recently got addiced to facebook... not good!!

How are you anyway??

:o)

03 October, 2007 06:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home