www.flickr.com

Saturday, January 20, 2007

A Difficult Anniversary

On January 13, the first anniversary of my father's death passed. It was not a good day. We'd planned some distracting activities to make the day easier, but issues with work kept us home. The kids were bored and hard to deal with. It was a long day.

I had planned an entry that day in his honor, but just never found it within myself to post. My friend Rosa posted a nice entry on her blog about milestones, inspired by our online chat that day. I felt it was too late and abandoned the idea for my own blog completely.

Yesterday, however, I got this letter from Brother John in Arizona. I decided that, despite the anniversary being past, I still needed to make a post. I'm going on the assumption that Brother John won't mind me posting his letter.



When my father was young, he spent some time at a seminary school. He later realized that he wanted a wife and family and left, much to his father's dismay I might add. However, he still felt very strong ties to his former classmates. Brother John is one of them.

Later in life, with Mom gone and the family grown and out on our own, Dad found himself with time to locate several of his classmates and reunite them. He then started traveling to Arizona annually to help Brother John provide charity assistance to the unfortunate among the Navajo in the area. They built additions onto houses and made various repairs to ensure they had a place to live.

Dad's passing obviously affected these people greatly, and they are showing their appreciation in a beautiful way. It's comforting to know that there are many people -- within and beyond my family -- who, despite the fact we didn't speak, were also thinking of my father that day. He was a great man, and people far and wide were obviously aware of that. I miss him terribly.

5 Comments:

Blogger Aynde said...

Wow. Has it been a year?

I ma thinking of you and will keep you and your Dad in my prayers.

Much Love,

Aynde

21 January, 2007 16:15  
Blogger deannie said...

You have done so much in this past year that would truly bring joy to any father's heart! Naturally, your career change is the biggest thing but I really admire you and the way you have coped.

I am really very sorry for your loss and have always kept you close in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,

22 January, 2007 04:36  
Blogger Lynda said...

Hi Eric,

Surprised to see me here??? I just wanted to pop in and say 'hi' and to let you know that I am checking out your blog periodically. That was a really nice letter from Brother John. I didn't realize he had our info to keep in touch. It's nice to know that they're still thinking of Dad and will plant a tree in his honor.

On a happier note...I really liked the robot video. Unfortunately, I'm not in charge of an animation or special effects team, nor do I know anyone in that position. But, I thought it looked really neat and should be picked up by not just one animation team, but MANY!!! Good Luck!!! Love, Lynda

25 January, 2007 08:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is very sweet that they are honoring him that way.

25 January, 2007 11:45  
Blogger Christine said...

We had the anniversary of my mother-in-law's passing in December. We all miss her as I am sure you miss your dad. Hold the memories of him in your heart and he will never be truly gone. Sending a prayer your way.

Christine

02 February, 2007 20:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home